Skip to main content

Update from Honduras

Sam was short on time this week so he asked me to piece together from emails he sent to us.  So, it may be a little choppy and all, but we love to hear about the experiences he is having.

So, last week we had an area conference with Elder Alonso who is the area authority for the church in Central America.  It was great.  Elder Alonso taught me a lot even though I couldn't understand all of it.  He spoke about teaching with the spirit, and the role of the spirit in our lessons.  I am really trying to apply what he said, and it has already helped in lessons.

Last Friday night, we got called to give blessing to a less active sister who had had an operation and wasn't feeling very well. We had no idea where she lived so first we had to track down her house, and it was on this path down behind a pulpería in the really poor part of our área called El Bordo. We walked in and talked to her for a little while and the whole time I was thinking, I don't know if I will be able to give an adequate blessing in Spanish. Then we asked her which part she wanted each of us to do. I was chosen for the sealing and the blessing, and leading right up to before I had to start speaking, I was praying, Heavenly Father, Please help me to be able to give a blessing to this Sister. I know my Spanish isn't great, but I have faith that I can be helped in this thing. Then, right after I started the blessing an overpowering sense of calm and peace came over me. My Spanish wasn't perfect, but I was able to say the things the spirit wanted me to say, and what the Sister needed from the blessing. It was amazing. I was so full of energy right after we were done, which was weird because it was 8oclock at night after a super long day.
 
Our investigators are coming along well.  Pretty certain we will have a baptism this week, but we had to push the other one back a week because he couldn't make it to church, and he was out of town a lot this week.  Another investigator is difficult to teach because his work schedule isn't fixed, so we don't get to teach him as much as we need to.  My favorite thing on my mission is that I get to teach people and see the way the gospel of Jesus Christ helps them in their lives.  The hardest thing to do is street contact.  If you could pray to help me learn how to communicate better, that would be great.
My trainer and I are going to the hospital sometime this week to get some results back.  He has been so sick, but is doing a little better this week.  If there is any way he can stay, he will. 

Our day consists of walking and sweating a lot.  We go from appointment to appointment a lot, with street contacting in between.  Also, president gave our zone permission to go to Puerto Cortes today. It is a beach and it is super cool, but pretty dirty. I had a whole fried fish and it was good. Also, last Thursday I was super sick, I could only work till 2, then we had to go back because my stomach hurt so bad and I was sick to my stomach every 30 minutes. That night, I threw up 3 times and had some diarrhea. But I was better by 12 on friday. I don't know what happened, but it was terrible.

At home we mainly eat rice, beans, platanos, and sometimes eggs.  No tortillas yet, but I am in the process of getting you guys an awesome refried beans recipe.  (I had asked him if he had mastered the art of homemade tortillas yet.)  Maggie, no gross foods this week.  My least favorite juice is nanza juice. 
My ward is great.  They are really helpful.  Most of the time we have about 140 people at church. 
I hope you all have a really good week. This past week has been super good for me.

Nos Vemos,
Elder Jensen

Comments

  1. 💕 his testimony of prayer and the blessing he gave. Our Father loves us. Thanks for share no, Sam. You lighten my load and brighten my faith.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with training

Well, i am officially done with training on Wednesday. Transfers are also that day, so I will probably get a new companion. It is most likely that I will stayin the area that i am in for at least 6 more weeks. This area is awesome,it is in the city,but it is pretty calm compared with other parts or San Pedro Sula that I have seen. The families here are awesome. This past week was pretty good. We almost baptized Lester Garcia this last week, but his friend was in a motorcylce accident so he was with him. We are hoping he will be able to this week, he is a really good guy, and he just wants to follow Christ and make his life better. Tomorrow all of the new missionaries that are coming get here. We get to go and work with them for the day so that will be fun. Looking back on the past 12 weeks, i realized that I have learned a lot. At the beginning walking down the street and talking to complete strangers was really hard for me,and now i hardly even think about it. I have learned a lot of

Raining fish and 1,000,000 degrees

Heyo! This past week was really good. We were able to teach Jackelin and also Emili. It has been amazing to see the change that has happened in Jackelin's life. When we first found her, she was a little bit beat down by life. But, now she is so happy, and she has a hope for her life that she didn't have before. We are still teaching Jorge and Maria, and they are awesome. Jorge has a desire to change his life, he is just is a little scared that he will mess up and he doesn't want that. But, when we mess up there is always a chance to come back to the correct path. Through the Savior, Jesus Christ, we can truly change, even when we continue to mess up. We can continue to pick ourselves back up, and continue to do what we know is right. Also, this week was the hottest week I have had since being here. The fans have stopped helping, because all they do now is blow hot air on us, and it is worse than not having any fan at all. But, we are finding other ways to cool off.

Warm weather is back!

Hey everyone! So this week was super good. We were able to keep teaching Lesly and Leiny. It has been awesome to be able to see their progress in this time that we have been teaching them. We are excited to keep teaching them, and we hope that they will continue to learn more about the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  This past week we were running out of places to contact, because our area doesn't have very many contactable houses because of the gates on the streets, so we went to a poorer part of our area. It was super cool, because we were able to find people that were awesome and prepared to hear the Gospel. So we will see how that goes with all of them.  Elder Trujillo was kind of sick this past week so that wasn't very fun for everyone but, we are hoping the medicine he has now will help him out.  Every time that I teach the Restoration of the Gospel I feel the spirit, it is amazing. I know that the Church is true, and that Joseph Smith was a prophet of God. In my missi